The leading artificial intelligence companies and startups in 2021
This article features the leading artificial intelligence companies and startups in 2021
The topic of artificial intelligence (AI) has become an indispensable part of today’s world. More and more companies are developing innovative solutions that want to simplify people’s lives with the help of machine learning, big data and virtual assistants. Some players are particularly active here and invest considerable sums in AI and Co. We would like to introduce these to you below.
When you think of artificial intelligence, you often imagine human-like robots that perfect human-machine interaction. But AI is much more than that: It changes our working world, be it in the medical industry, in agriculture or in marketing. In the future, AI solutions will take on tasks that are difficult, dangerous or impossible for people to cope with due to the immense flood of data – intelligent machines work quickly and at low cost in such areas.
New branches of the economy are emerging that are based on AI: Statista expects sales to grow from currently around 4.8 billion US dollars to around six-fold in 2025. Regardless of whether you have your own ideas about AI as a business area or are interested in AI services: It is a growth market with great potential.
Artificial intelligence and the internet – Google (alphabet), Apple and Samsung are at the forefront
The big internet players and device manufacturers such as Google (as well as the parent company Alphabet), Apple and Samsung have of course recognized the great opportunities for a long time. They are at the forefront when it comes to artificial intelligence.
The Samsung Group announced in 2018 that it would invest 138 billion euros in future technologies over the next three years. In addition to investments in artificial intelligence, autonomous driving and 5G network technology in general are also to be promoted. In addition, the South Koreans recently opened their internal start-up incubator program C-Lab to external projects: Innovations should stay or take place in-house.
Google, on the other hand, is one of the pioneers in the field of artificial intelligence, after all, the intelligent processing and use of data is anchored in the DNA of the Internet giant. Better search results, optimal navigation with Google Maps or smart home control via Google Home voice command: Google is at the forefront in the AI field. The Google parent company Alphabet drives innovations through its own corporate divisions such as X (formerly Google X). X is the Alphabet Group’s innovation laboratory, which among other things worked on autonomous driving.
Apple also sees AI as a huge market: the beginnings of Siri voice control has become a full-fledged digital assistant that uses artificial intelligence – including in speech recognition. Apple is also working on its own AI hardware in the form of a chip. This technology called “Apple Neural Engine” is intended to further improve voice and face recognition.
Interestingly, the graphics card manufacturer Nvidia is also benefiting greatly from the AI boom: The company’s share has more than doubled since July 2019. One of the reasons for this is that IBM and Facebook use Nvidia hardware for complex calculations. The graphics chips also provide valuable services in medical technology and AI.
It goes without saying that the world’s largest internet company, Amazon, also relies on AI processes. Many consumers control their smart home devices via “Alexa” voice commands, have the weather forecast communicated or place orders. Behind the scenes, Amazon benefits from optimized logistics processes, order predictions and efficient supply chains. A large part of the development work is done in-house.
Collecting data without the internet will be tedious
A functioning Internet of Things (IoT) is necessary to equip machines, sensors and other areas with something like intelligence. Networking makes the devices intelligent on the one hand, and also enables further data to be collected on the other. The US company Zebra Technologies is very active here. They develop and sell barcode scanners, RFID readers and coupon or ticket printers. In this way, products, services and processes can be traced down to the last detail, which is an essential basis for intelligent optimization.
So that data security and data protection can also be guaranteed for the IoT, companies such as CrowdStrike are constantly working on AI-based detection methods to detect malware. It is partly an AI-supported further development of the previously widespread heuristic mechanisms, as they are used in common virus scanners. The evaluation and detection must be “smart” and efficient. In this way, possible threats are identified as quickly as possible, compared with known cases and suitable solutions are initiated.
The top artificial intelligence companies in 2021
Various large and small players are involved in the growing billion-dollar artificial intelligence market. The most important representatives and their current focus activities at a glance:
- Google (alphabet): Almost every offer: including maps, ads, weather forecasts, autonomous driving
- Apple: “Apple Neural Engine” to improve Siri
- Samsung: 5G technology, device hardware, autonomous driving
- Nvidia: Powerful GPU hardware for data analysis
- Amazon: Optimization of logistics processes and order predictions
- Zebra Technologies: barcode scanners, RFID readers and ticket printers
- CrowdStrike: AI-based malware detection
- IBM: Big data evaluations with IBM Watson and hosting
- Splunk: Big data evaluations for customer insights
- Salesforce: AI-powered order predictions and recommendations
- The Trade Desk: AI-optimized advertising
- Twilio: Call Center Automation
The AI start-up market is also booming
Not only established players cavort in the AI industry and come up with intelligent solutions. As is usual in growth markets, a large number of start-ups come onto the stage with new ideas, innovative products or services. Here are some of the top AI startup firms:
- One of the most famous start-ups at the moment is DeepL (for “Deep Learning”): The founders are dedicated to the subject of translations and deliver free text translations based on artificial intelligence.
- The start-up Twenty Billion Neurons wants to train the digital avatar “Millie” to the point where she is able to suggest intelligent solutions to people in certain problem situations. That could be buying a car, but also the question of how to get to the nearest supermarket. E-Bot 7 takes a similar approach. Among other things, the company is involved in the optimization of chatbots.
- The founders of Enway are active in the field of smart cities. They have developed an autonomous sweeper that is able to drive over a certain area with the help of a 3D map even without GPS assistance and collect up to 120 liters of garbage there. An exciting approach also for trade fair and concert halls.
These are some of the leading companies and startups in the field of artificial intelligence. They help to create new branches of the economy and makes new business models possible. The average citizens can use their solutions to simplify the usually very difficult tasks. Artificial intelligence is a growth market with great potential and has enables businesses to optimize their processes without hassle.
I’m Molly Cobb, a Content Marketing Manager at Hyperlink InfoSystem awarded As Top Web and Mobile App Development Companies in Canada. The company offers services like Mobile App Development, Web Development, Salesforce Development, IoT and Artificial Intelligence Software Development.