Best Certified Ethical Hacking Courses for The Year 2021
Ethical Hacking is the authorized process of penetrating a system to expose the vulnerabilities and threats by which a malicious attacker can exploit a system to obtain confidential data or gain unauthorized access. The sole purpose is to resolve or patch up the loopholes found during the process to prevent cyberattacks. When you start your career in Ethical hacking, it is important to get your basics cleared and have sound technical knowledge. This is when a certified network defender comes into picture.
Ethical hackers, also known as white hat hackers, are computer security experts who assess and resolve vulnerabilities. With continuous developments in ethical Hacking and ample job opportunities, People started to learn about the prerequisites to become successful ethical hackers. As a result, many people were interested in taking up a career as an ethical hacker. With time, companies required the assistance of Ethical Hackers to ensure their organization’s security. Soon, there were many accredited courses, which one could take up to be a certified ethical hacker. A few of the most renowned courses are listed below:
1.Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) – EC-Council
Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH v11) is a renowned certification course offered by EC-Council, which all organizations globally accept. It provides theoretical and practical certification to provide in-depth knowledge of all the procedures and tools needed to penetrate the system.
The CEH v11 explains the fundamentals of the latest commercial-grade hacking, including techniques, tools, and the various methodologies used by IT security professionals and hackers to hack an organization legally.
The EC-Council CEH v11 certification is accredited and recognized by some of the most known investigation organizations like the National Cyber Security Centre, United States Department of Défense (DoD), FBI, NSA, etc. The course is based on this 20-module syllabus:
- Introduction to Ethical Hacking
- Footprinting and Reconnaissance
- Scanning Networks, Enumeration, and Vulnerability Analysis
- System Hacking, Malware Threats, Sniffing and Social Engineering
- Denial-of-Service, Session Hijacking, and Evading IDS
- Firewalls and Honeypots
- Hacking Web Servers, Hacking Web Applications, and SQL Injection
- Hacking Wireless Networks, Hacking Mobile Platforms
- IoT and OT Hacking
- Cloud Computing and Cryptography
The course is offered in 3 modes:
iWeek: An online, instructor-led training class that you can attend from anywhere with a stable internet connection.
Masterclass: An online class, taught by top, world-class professionals in the industry, the opportunity to collaborate with the top info security professionals and also provides add-on certification training, local meet-up opportunities, and access to iLearn, self-study classes.
Training Partner: An offline mode training class that helps acquire real-world skills, promotes peer-to-peer discussions., etc., to better understand the subject.
Course duration: 5-day, 40-hour program; Exam duration: 4 hours consisting of 125 MCQs.
- Basic knowledge about networking and operating systems.
- A strong foundation in technical and analytical skills.
To take the CEH(ANSI) exam, one must have the following:
- Hold a CEH certification (version 1 – 7) or A minimum of 2 years of work experience in the infosec domain or attend official EC-Council training classes.
The course offers the following content, apart from the standard syllabus, which makes it unique when compared to others:
- It is mapped into the NICE 2.0 framework areas, which are Protection and detection (PR), Analyze (AN), and Securely Provision (SP), aiding help in a career as a federal employee.
- It has a greater focus on the 18 Vector attacks, including OWASP top 10, IoT hacking, vulnerability analysis, fileless malware, etc.
- Provides modern exploit technologies which enhance one’s exploitation skills by learning about the existing and latest vulnerability from the ground level.
- Hands-on Hacking challenge offers 24 unique hacking challenges built over four different complexity levels and thousands of hacking techniques, tricks, and tools and includes WPA3 encryption and cracking.
- Includes modern case studies and current trending events, enabling one to understand the situation and get a better view to analyze and solve the problem.
- Enhanced focus on malware attacks and live cyber range, which has the new ilabs cyber range 100% mapped into the training program.
- Enhanced focus on cloud and IoT concepts incorporating CSP containers, etc.
Certification of completion is provided to those who have cleared the exam and can apply for an ethical hacker in reputed companies
2.The Complete Ethical Hacking Course: Beginner to advanced – Udemy
Udemy is an open-source, online course provider aiming at working professionals and college students. It provides various courses depending on the area of interest of the individual. While Udemy courses certify you have completed the course, many organizations might not consider the certification as Udemy is not considered an accredited institution. You will find a plethora of courses on the same topic, which different instructors teach. The Complete Hacking Course: Beginner to Advanced focuses on strengthening the fundamental concepts and learning more about ethical Hacking in depth.
The course has the following syllabus:
- Basic hacking terminologies.
- Installation of a virtual machine and Kali Linux
- Creating a bootable USB for Kali Linux
- Linux terminal and CLI
- What are Tor and its functions
- Proxy chains for proxy servers, how to hide your IP address etc.
- What is a VPN, and why is it used?
- Footprinting with Nmap and other external resources.
- Breaking WPA/WPA2 encryption.
- Signal jamming and DOS
- SSL Strips
- DNS setting hacking
- SQL Injections
- Make your key logger
Course Duration: 24.5 hours
- No Prior knowledge related to the hacking or relevant subject is needed.
- Basic technical skills.
- Good Internet connection.
With this course, one can learn how to use a virtual machine for hacking/ penetration testing, the ability to secure the network, various tips on how to remain anonymous while Hacking, crack encrypted WPA/WPA2 passwords, etc. Overall an ideal course to learn the fundamentals of Ethical Hacking.
3.Practical Ethical Hacking – The Complete Course – Udemy
This certification course by Udemy is a complete course on practical techniques required to become an ethical hacker. The course is taught by a trained professional and offers the following concepts:
- Effective note keeping
- Networking Refresher
- Introductory to Linux
- Hacking methodology
- Reconnaissance and information gathering
- Scanning and enumeration
- Exploit development
- Post exploitation
- Legal documentation and report writing, and much more.
Course Duration: 24.5 hours
No prior knowledge of the subject is needed
Basic IT knowledge
A wireless adapter supporting monitor mode for wireless Hacking
The course is entirely based on the practical side of ethical Hacking, completely hands-on, and covers all the fundamental topics.
4.Ethical Hacking Fundamentals – Pluralsight
Pluralsight is an American publicly held online education organization that offers various courses for IT professionals, software employees, etc. Ethical Hacking Fundamentals is a Certification course that provides ethical hacking techniques and practices to prepare for CEH certification from experts with hands-on experience for better understanding. The course provides the basic knowledge which is needed to identify and exploit the vulnerabilities.
The syllabus includes the following topics:
- The five phases of Hacking
- How to defend against threats and attacks
- Identification of vulnerabilities.
- Scanning networks
- Vulnerability analysis and malware threats
- System hacking, hacking web servers, and web applications
- Sniffing and DOS attacks
- Hacking IoT, cloud computing, and mobile hacking platforms
Course Duration: 79 hours
No prior experience needed in the field of Hacking
Possess a strong understanding of TCP/IP and operating systems
Minimum of a year’s experience in working with network technologies
The course provides all the concepts needed to become a successful ethical hacker, and organizations accept their certifications.
5.Cybersecurity Specialization – Coursera
Coursera is an American Massive Open Online Course provider. Coursera has partnered up with more than 200 renowned universities and provides affordable courses, hands-on projects, career credentials, degree programs, and job-ready certifications. All organizations globally accept their certification courses. Coursera’s cybersecurity specialization online certification course offers the fundamentals of Ethical Hacking.
Their syllabus includes:
- Software testing and buffer overflow
- Fuzz testing
- Penetration testing and cybersecurity
- Privacy and usability
- User interface
- SQL Injection and Public-key cryptography
- Cryptography and number theory
Course Duration: 8 months with a suggested pace of 2 hours a week
Prerequisites: Basic knowledge of cybersecurity and hacking terminologies.
This course is entirely online and provided by the University of Maryland, which covers the basic fundamental concepts which constitute the structure of security systems, including the software, hardware, user interface, cryptography, etc., which are required to become an ethical hacker.
6.Become an Ethical Hacker – LinkedIn Learning
LinkedIn Learning is an American website that offers certified courses taught by professional experts. It is a part of the LinkedIn Corporation which is a business and employment-related online platform. LinkedIn is a very well-known platform used to get jobs and have professional connections on a large scale. LinkedIn Learning started providing courses based on the organizations’ necessities to get a job. Upon completing the course, a certificate is provided and is very well recognized and considered by organizations. Become an Ethical Hacker is a course provided by LinkedIn that provides all the content needed to learn and understand Ethical Hacking concepts.
The course is based on 18 learning contents that explain the different topics of ethical hacking. Some of them are as follows:
- Foot Printing and Reconnaissance
- Vulnerability analysis
- System hacking
- Complete malware analysis
- Evading IDS, Firewalls, and honeypots
- Hacking web servers and web applications
- Hacking IoT devices
- Cloud computing
Course Duration: 28 hours
The course gives a complete view of the ethical hacking concepts. It helps one learn about the emerging threats to the system using various tools to test networks, identify multiple risks, and prevent cyberattacks from occurring. Trained professional experts instruct the course in the field of ethical hacking.
With the growing need for ethical hackers to ensure security in an organization, many organizations have started to invest considerably in strengthening their systems and networks’ security. The certification and the platform helped them understand how much an individual was well-versed in security.
Many platforms offer Ethical Hacking courses online, having almost similar contents. Although, organizations consider very few certifications. Reputed certifications like CEH v11 by EC-Council provide an in-depth analysis of the whole course. The program aims to provide the latest concepts and set of tools that identify and solve issues, which are mostly preferred as it an accredited institute and holds more value based on the exam standards. On completion of the course, it guarantees that the individual has understood the concepts and is given hands-on training by a trained professional who has many years of experience in the same field. One can choose which certification to opt for based on their preference, but it’s essential to keep in mind to opt-in for globally accepted certifications and recognized by all the companies.